The Knights of Columbus promises $100,000 to the reconstruction effort to aid “our ur Christian brothers and sisters in Sri Lanka during this time of trial.”
Art News reported that Sri Lankan culture minister Sajith Premadasa will begin rebuilding the Colombo church under the supervision of Cardinal Ranjith, the Archbishop of Colombo.
According to the report, crowdfunding campaigns have so far had limited success:
“Weʼre [trying to raise] £600,000 to support the victims of the Sri Lanka terror attacks and restoration of the churches involved. Notre Dame raised £600m in 24 hours,” says one such campaigner, Jake Margrain.
The Knights of Columbus has pledged $100,000 to the rebuilding of St. Anthony’s, and St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo and the Zion Church in Batticaloa which were also bombed.
“The Knights of Columbus stands in solidarity with our Christian brothers and sisters in Sri Lanka during this time of trial,” said Carl Anderson, supreme knight of the Catholic charitable organization, in a statement Monday. “Terrorist attacks like those on Easter Sunday are the acts of those who reject the sanctity of life, human rights and religious freedom.”
“Globally, it is well documented that Christians are the most persecuted religious group today,” Anderson said in his statement. “Now is the time for every country to take concrete steps to protect their minority populations, including Christians, and to stop this persecution and slaughter.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!