Like a loving child, run to your spiritual mother and hide under her mantle for comfort and protection.
The Blessed Mother may not be physically present on this earth, but she does remain at the side of her son, Jesus, and listens attentively to the cries of the world. On account of this heavenly position, she can make her presence felt anywhere on earth and can comfort us in our sorrows and rejoice with us in our joys.
Many saints over the centuries have urged the Christian faithful to view Mary as a spiritual mother to whom we can run to in our time of need. A helpful image is to imagine ourselves running like a little child and throwing our heads into the lap of the Blessed Mother. Once there, the Virgin Mary will caress our hair and cover us with her soft and warm mantle, ensuring us that all will be well.
Here is a short prayer that can help internalize this image and call upon Mary as a mother who is ready to help us, no matter what happens.
I love thee, most lovable Lady,
By the love which I bear thee,
I promise ever to serve thee,
and to do as much as I can,
that thou be loved by others also.
I put all my hopes in thee,
all my salvation.
Receive me as thy servant
and cover me with the mantle of thy protection,
thou the Mother of mercy!
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!