Gertrud von le Fort’s classic book is full of reflective and thought-provoking wisdom about the vocation of motherhood.
The poet J.W. Goethe once wrote, “The eternal feminine draws us on.” Building on the concept of the timeless nature of womanhood, author Gertrud von le Fort gives us a beautiful meditation in her book, The Eternal Woman: The Timeless Meaning of the Feminine. In a new introduction to the 1934 classic, Alice von Hildebrand comments that le Fort “outlines admirably the mystery of femininity … a highly cultivated woman, she wove her insights with artistic and literary references that are so enriching because they are not the fruits of abstraction but of meditation upon personal, lived experiences.”
Here are a handful of Gertrud von le Fort’s thought-provoking, deeply inspired words on motherhood, paired with famous depictions of maternity …
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!