The Bible gives us some clues as to the number of angels that God created.
For example, when the shepherds learn that Jesus was born, Luke explains that, “suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God” (Luke 2:13).
Similarly when the prophet Daniel had one of his visions he saw, “a thousand thousands served him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him” (Daniel 7:10). The expression is not meant to reveal an exact number, but a number beyond our ability to count.
St. John had a similar vision that he recounts in the book of Revelation, “Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands” (Revelation 5:11).
In other words, we will never know on this earth how many angels exist. Only God knows the exact number of angels, as he was the one who created them in the beginning. They are uniquely united to him and obediently relay his messages to us on earth.
Their vast number reminds us that God is a being of life, surrounding himself with creatures that he sustains with his life-giving spirit. As Jesus said to his disciples, “He is not God of the dead, but of the living” (Matthew 22:32).
In God’s eyes, the more angels the merrier!
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!