The Catholic Mass is full of prayers that come both the Old and New Testaments.
This is why the Bible is cited more than 100 times throughout the entire celebration of the Mass and many of these citations are word-for-word quotations.
Below is a simple slideshow that highlights ten of these quotations that either the priest or people recite during Mass. While they may not realize it, Catholics have memorized many passages from scripture by simply attending Mass on Sunday.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!