These three men are known as the primary “founding fathers” of both Judaism and Christianity.
The first patriarch is Abraham, whose faith in God is exalted throughout the Bible. God said to him, “No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations” (Genesis 17:5).
The second patriarch is Isaac, the son of Abraham. Isaac freely accepted his fate as a sacrifice to God and carried the wood that would have fueled the fire beneath him. Yet, God spared him because of Abraham’s faithful obedience and blessed him with children.
The third patriarch is Jacob (Israel), the son of Isaac. He was blessed by his father over his twin Esau, and would go on to become the father of 12 tribes, eventually forming the nation of Israel.
When God revealed himself to Moses, he invoked these patriarchs to help identify who he was.
And he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. (Exodus 3:6)
Jesus repeatedly invoked the patriarchs, as did early Christians. Both tried to assure the Jewish people that Jesus was the same God as the God of the patriarchs.
The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him. (Acts 3:13)
The stories of the patriarchs are important to know, and recall the rich patrimony of the Christian faith that extends thousands of years into the past.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!