And proves how one kind gesture goes a long way …
The parents of the young boy had money to pay for groceries and bills, but a new pair of shoes was a tall order. Instead of being shown compassion, he was mocked for his unfortunate situation. Luckily, however, a kind-hearted classmate, Avah, decided to step in and put an end to the situation.
On arriving home, Avah spoke to her mom about the boy’s bullying. Mom Shannon Parkins asked her daughter if she wanted to buy her classmate a new pair of shoes. After a little shoe-size investigating, the mom and daughter duo went shoe shopping to find the perfect pair of shoes for the boy.
As Parkins shared on Facebook, the next day Avah went to school with the shoes and a little note to leave behind in the boy’s backpack. While we don’t know the boy’s reaction to the new purchase, Avah’s kind gesture is an important lesson to share with kids and adults alike: instead of laughing at someone’s misfortune, see how you can try and help turn it around. As her mom says: “The world is so full of hate, we need more souls like Avahs!”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!