A 91-year-old with leukemia was surprised by the bill after her boiler was fixed.
Anderson, a 52-year-old plumber, showed up quickly, and discovered the problem: two leaks and high pressure. He solved the problem, and as he left, Rowlands asked him how much she owed him. He said he’d mail her the bill.
Soon, she got the mail, but the bill wasn’t at all what she was expecting: Anderson wasn’t going to charge a single cent for his work. The total was written as “0.00,” and in the description of the work, she read, “Lady is 91 years of age. Acute leukemia. End of life care. No charge for this lady under any circumstances. We will be available 24 hours to help her and keep her as comfortable as possible.”
Rowlands shared the story on Facebook, commenting, “As a friend said, an Angel dressed as a plumber.”
Went to mum's yesterday and big drama boiler was leaking and I phoned my sister Delta who managed to contact a plumber…
What the Rowlands sisters hadn’t realized is that the purpose of Anderson’s business, Depher, which he founded in 2017, is to provide “free plumbing and heating emergency services for the elderly and disabled.” He can’t always do the work totally for free, because he depends on crowdfunding and on cooperation and donations in kind from other companies, but he does his best.
The BBC did a video about Depher:
The Lancashire plumber making repairs for as little as 10p to help the elderly and disabled…
Geplaatst door BBC North West op Woensdag 17 januari 2018
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!