The Camino remains one of the most popular pilgrimages, drawing hundreds of thousands each year.
For hundreds of years pilgrims have found in the Camino de Santiago a chance to engage in long periods of spiritual reflection and focus on devotions, as they tread the course, some routes of which stretch 500 miles across a serene European landscape. Today these passages are preserved as UNSECO World Heritage sites and, according to Camino Ways, it is estimated that more than a quarter of a million faithful take the pilgrimage annually.
Historically, pilgrims would travel the Camino de Santiago in anonymity, leaving behind their names and stations to give themselves over completely to their faithful task. In modern times, however, few people travel in obscurity and, in fact, many celebrities have completed the pilgrimage and their efforts encourage others to embark on the spiritually cleansing, months-long pilgrimage.
Let’s take a look at some of the most famous people to have walked the Camino de Santiago!
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!