It is estimated that England is in need of 8,600 foster families.
Scheduled to kick off November 13, the campaign, which has yet to be named, will highlight the needs of the thousands of children who enter the care system every year, and how they need proper homes.
In 2018, it was estimated that there are only 1,700 approved families for the 4,140 foster children in England. The campaign hopes to find home for the remaining 2,760 children. Figures from 2019, provided by The Fostering Network, suggest that England will need 8,600 more foster families to properly care for all their children.
According to an interview with Sue Armstrong Brown, chief executive of Adoption UK, these children have “often suffered serious neglect or abuse in their early lives.” The adoption official went on to note:
“… adoption can have a transformative effect on these children and the testimony of adoptive parents is proof that you can successfully parent children who are deemed harder to place, if the right support is in place.”
The campaign was announced at the Catholic Bishops Conference of England and Wales, which pulled upon remarks by Pope Francis, from May, in which the pontiff noted, “There are so many children who need homes, and the Church should step up to help them.”
Organizers of the conference stated, “Adoption and fostering is part of our Catholic DNA, our Christian story and experience.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!