“… mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, whom the Lord wants to give us and who are absent from our Sunday table.”
He delivered the homily in his native Spanish, drawing from the day’s Gospel of Matthew where Jesus, pointing to his disciples, says, “Whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother.”
The Holy Father reflected on all those who are poor and suffering, because of any reason, from being a victim of human trafficking, to being enslaved by drug addiction, to facing exploitation because of material need.
“All of them,” the pope said, “are part of our family.”
“They are our mothers, our brothers and sisters,” the pontiff said, calling for missionary hearts who can see their faces, their wounds, their smiles and their lives and make them experience the merciful balm of God’s love that heals their wounds and pains.
A missionary disciple, Francis said, is one who opens doors in order to experience and share the merciful and healing embrace of God the Father, which makes of us one family.
Pope Francis urged Thailand’s Catholic communities to follow the “footsteps of the first missionaries, in order to encounter, discover and recognize with joy the faces of all those mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, whom the Lord wants to give us and who are absent from our Sunday table.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!