Blessed Miguel Pro had this request: May my last words on earth and my first song in heaven be “Long live Christ the King!”
Arrested on false charges and condemned to death, Father Pro was shot to death on the morning of November 23, 1927. Extending his arms in the form of a cross, he spoke his last words: ¡Viva Cristo Rey! Long live Christ the King!
As the end of his life approached, Miguel was ready and even eager to suffer alongside so many who were giving their lives.
Hopefully I might be worthy of suffering persecution for the name of Jesus! Hopefully it falls to me to be one of the first, or one of the last, but to be one of this group! And if that happens, get your petitions to heaven ready, because I will be your best intercessor.
He also offered this desire:
May my last words on earth and my first song in heaven be “Long live Christ the King!”
Of course it wasn’t easy to contemplate the suffering that awaited him. In a prayer that echoes Gethsemane, he pleaded:
Heart of Jesus, I love Thee; but increase my love. Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee; but give greater vigor to my confidence.Heart of Jesus, I give my heart to Thee; but so enclose it in Thee that it may never be separated from Thee.Heart of Jesus, I am all Thine; but take care of my promise so that I may be able to put it in practice even unto the complete sacrifice of my life.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!