From the starry night to the “extras,” the pope sees a role for everyone in the Christmas creche, and explains it in a new apostolic letter.
The Holy Father encourages families to continue this tradition and explains the spiritual symbolism behind each element of the Christmas creche.
The pope released the letter during a visit to the site where St. Francis created the first Nativity scene.
Here is a slideshow that features Pope Francis’ commentary on the symbolism found in the traditional Nativity scene.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!