Scottish football team uses a very papal symbol to announce the signing of a new player.
A tweet posted by the the professional soccer team, heralded the signing of Kosovan forward Donis Avdijaj accompanied by a gif of white smoke coming out of the chimney at the Vatican — the sign that a new pope has been elected.
There is no word on whether Pope Francis got a kick out of (see what we did there?) this playful joke. The pontiff is a passionate soccer fan, and lifelong supporter of the Argentinian club, San Lorenzo, so we like to think he retweeted in spirit.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!