The Belgian restaurant came first out of 2,000 restaurants, thanks to its French cuisine and top customer service.
The restaurant called 65 Degrés — the perfect temperature to cook an egg — was established in 2018 by four co-founders with the aim of providing work to those with disabilities. And it seems their business model is proving a huge success. Located in the capital, Brussels, the high end restaurant serves up delicious French cuisine and has already garnered the impressive best eatery in Brussels award from Trip Adviser, ranking first out of 2,000 competitors.
As The Mighty reports, one of the co-founders, Valentin Cogels, shared that one of the benefits of their restaurant is offering high end cuisine with high end service: staff members who are so happy to work, and are genuinely delighted to make the clients feel welcome.
“The customers are here to see us and to savor the restaurant’s atmosphere and gastronomy. It is a lot of pressure. We are proud of ourselves,” explained Marie-Sophie Lamarche, a waitress with Down syndrome, to Reuters.
The majority of their staff, around 15, have Down syndrome, echoing the American chain Bitty and Beau’s Coffee, and its success can only pave the way for other employers to see the incredible benefits of hiring those with additional needs. Not only is their policy helping their profits, it’s also offering these more vulnerable members of society a chance to shine.
A photo of Marie-Sophie Lamarche hard at work on the terrace as featured on the restaurant’s Facebook page.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!