Let’s take fasting as a holy “declaration of independence” from over-attachment! What are your Lenten plans?
This gem from the Byzantine Catechism The Mystery Lived is making me actually look forward to our Church’s 40-day season of preparation for Easter, otherwise known as Lent:
Fasting, prayer and alms-giving are a “declaration of independence,” an act of rebellion against the slavery and over-attachment to the fallen world induced by our passions. They are a definite “NO” to being centered on ourselves, the daily rat race of modern life; they restore us to a proper relationship with God, others and ourselves. [The Mystery Lived. 2001; p. 35]
So what over-attachment are you going to rebel against this Lent?
For me, it’s chatting on the phone in the afternoon. That may sound silly, but my phone conversations with girlfriends while doing dishes have definitely been taking the place of some much-needed prayer time in my life. The other day it hit me that Jesus was standing by the sink, waiting patiently to spend time with me.
What will I talk to Him about this Lent? What will He say to me?
Suddenly, ditching the phone in the afternoon became super appealing – rebelling against my over-attachment to activity; replacing my gabbing with active listening; embracing peace, quiet and contemplation.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!