As Italy continues its battle with coronavirus, the Vatican press office seeks to address speculation
“The Holy Father celebrated Mass this morning and at the end, as always, greeted the participants. But he decided to postpone the official audiences of today. The meetings in the Casta Santa Marta agenda continue as planned,” said Matteo Bruni, director of the press office.
With this statement, the Vatican is addressing speculation about the Holy Father’s health, particularly as in Italy, confirmed cases of coronavirus are at least at 650, with 17 dead, 45 recovered, 248 hospitalized, 56 in intensive care, and 284 in quarantine in their houses.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!