The state contends that the popular plans, known as “health care sharing ministries” are misleading consumers.
The state issued the Cease and Desist order against Aliera Healthcare, Inc. and Trinity Healthshares, Inc., on the grounds that the two health care sharing ministries are misleading California consumers by operating outside of the laws regulating the insurance industry.
Healthcare Sharing Ministries (HCSMs) allow members to pool their resources so health care costs are paid by other members. In addition to their lower costs, they are attractive to their mostly Christian members, because they don’t cover certain procedures, such as abortion, contraceptives, transgender surgery, and assisted suicide, which they may find morally objectionable.
The plans, however, are not traditional insurance plans, and do not come with guarantee that health care costs will be covered.
“Consumers who bought these plans thinking they purchased comprehensive health insurance deserve the full protection of our laws,” said Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara. “Consumers should know they may be able to get comprehensive coverage through Covered California that will protect their health care rights.”
The approximately 11,000 Californians who have purchased health care coverage from Aliera Healthcare, Inc. or Trinity Healthshares, Inc. are advised to contact the state’s insurance office to apply for emergency coverage.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!