Playing the Son of God was no easy feat for some of Hollywood’s greatest talents.
For some, it was a role that defined their acting career, while other actors went on to play a range of other roles — Max von Sydow, for instance, even starred as the devil in a later film. Interestingly, many of the actors who have played Christ haven’t been Christian or even religious, yet many have spoken of the difficulty portraying Our Savior as both a man and the Son of God.
Here’s a selection of quotes that will give you a little insight in what it felt like to don the crown of thorns for these actors.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!