St. Paul wrote, “Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun set on your anger” (Ephesians 4:26).
Instead, we need to forgive that person, especially before going to bed. We don’t necessarily need to tell that person of our forgiveness, but we do need to forgive them in our heart. This interior forgiveness will naturally lead us to be more charitable to the person when we see them next and help calm our anger down as well.
Jesus is the supreme example of this, as he forgave those who crucified him.
St. Paul also spoke about this practice, writing, “Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun set on your anger” (Ephesians 4:26).
Here is a short prayer from the Golden Manual that vocalizes this forgiveness, reminding you to forgive those who have hurt you, not letting the “sun set on your anger.”
O God, I love you with all my heart and soul, and desire to love you as the blessed do in heaven. I adore all the designs of your divine Providence, resigning myself entirely to your will.
I also love my neighbor for your sake, as I love myself. I sincerely forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured.
O my good Angel, whom God, by his divine mercy, has appointed to be my guardian, enlighten and protect me, direct and govern me this night. Amen.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!