May your example and intercession keep us from demanding from each other more than God demands of us.
No family drops down from heaven perfectly formed; families need constantly to grow and mature in the ability to love. This is a never-ending vocation born of the full communion of the Trinity, the profound unity between Christ and his Church, the loving community which is the Holy Family of Nazareth, and the pure fraternity existing among the saints of heaven.
Our contemplation of the fulfillment which we have yet to attain also allows us to see in proper perspective the historical journey which we make as families, and in this way to stop demanding of our interpersonal relationships a perfection, a purity of intentions and a consistency which we will only encounter in the Kingdom to come.
From Amoris Laetitia.
Sts. Louis and Zelie,
implore for us the strength to be open to the graces of the sacrament at the heart of our family life,
that we may grow in communion, union, and fraternity, as we are called to.
May your example and intercession keep us from demanding from each other more than God demands of us. Amen.
The parents of St. Therese of Lisieux, Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin, are the first married couple to be canonized together. They share a joint feast day – not the day of the death of either one, but instead, their wedding anniversary, July 12.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!