Benedict XVI’s personal secretary is 64.
In addition to his role as secretary to the pontiff emeritus, Archbishop Gänswein is also prefect of the pontifical household.
In June, he accompanied Benedict XVI to Regensburg to visit his sick brother, who died just some days later.
Bishop Gänswein then represented the German Pontiff Emeritus at his brother’s funeral on July 8.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!