This list includes something for everyone!
On January 24, 2021, the Universal Church will celebrate “Sunday of the Word of God,” an initiative established by Pope Francis as a day “devoted to the celebration, study and dissemination of the Word of God.” (Apostolic Letter, Aperuit Illis, n. 3).
Why focus on Sacred Scriptures?
Because, in the words of the Holy Father, “A profound bond links Sacred Scripture and the faith of believers. Since faith comes from hearing, and what is heard is based on the word of Christ (Rom 10:17), believers are bound to listen attentively to the word of the Lord, both in the celebration of the liturgy and in their personal prayer and reflection” (n. 7).
Pope Francis adds, “devoting a specific Sunday of the liturgical year to the Word of God can enable the Church to experience anew how the risen Lord opens up for us the treasury of his word and enables us to proclaim its unfathomable riches before the world” (n.2).
Here are some ways to mark this day:
- Celebrate a Bible Enthronement in your home or parish. This rite from the Pontifical Council for Promoting New Evangelization could be an option.
- Go through your gift lists for this year, and consider giving the Bible as part of your Christmas, birthday or wedding gifts.
- Make sure your grandparents or the elderly in your family have a large-print Bible or an audio Bible.
- Resolve to read one chapter of the New Testament each day; write down what the Holy Spirit says to your heart. This will become your spiritual diary and a treasure for years to come.
- Create a weekly Zoom or Google Meet group to read, meditate, and discuss the Sunday Gospel with family and friends.
- Take an online free Catholic Scripture course as a way to study God’s Word more systematically.
- Look up artworks that depict passages of Scripture and discuss them with your children.
- Find board games related to the Bible and play them as a family.
- Make a list of your favorite Bible verses and categorize them according to the virtues of hope, faith, and charity.
- Make a vow to make Christ the center of your life and to know, live, and transmit God’s Word in everything you think, say and do.