Aleteia logoAleteia logo
Aleteia
Friday 15 October |
Saint of the Day: St. Teresa of Avila
Aleteia logo
home iconArt & Culture
line break icon

CRS Rice Bowl 2021 seeks to feed the world through Lent

J-P Mauro - published on 02/14/21

Donating just the price of a coffee each day of Lent can make a world of difference.

Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has launched its annual CRS Rice Bowl Food Drive. Since 1975, CRS has held this international food drive to support over 150 million people in over 100 countries. The initiative encourages Catholics to fast, pray and give alms during the Lenten season.

Donations are collected in cardboard “bowls,” which are then sent in to Catholic Relief Services. CRS in turn distributes the funds to its many services around the globe. On their website, they note that 75% of funds raised support their international efforts. The remaining 25% goes towards fighting hunger and poverty in the US.

Of their charitable efforts, CRS writes:

Each Lent, Catholic families across the country unite to put their faith into action through prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Through CRS Rice Bowl, families learn about how our sisters and brothers across the globe overcome hardships like hunger and malnutrition, and how through Lenten alms, we have the power to make the world a better place for all.

Pandemic year

National Catholic Register reports that this year donations are more appreciated than ever before. The COVID-19 pandemic has created unprecedented shortages of jobs and food, especially in countries where the majority of citizens are living in abject poverty. Beth Martin, CRS’ director of campaign action and content, noted that CRS has been working through the pandemic to send emergency food supplies to 30 countries.

Martin told NCR:

“And in the past year, there have been a lot. COVID-19 is increasing global hunger and malnutrition, and several natural disasters have left thousands without a home or without crops to feed their families and communities. Everyone everywhere has struggled.”

Martin went on to note that Catholics can bring peace of mind to many in need with a small donation. She suggested that even donating the price of a cup of coffee each day of Lent could make a world of difference. 

Learn how to get involved at Catholic Relief Services.


DON GARDNER

Read more:
Man who created large independent food bank starts every morning with these inspiring words

Tags:
CatholicCharityLent
Support Aleteia!

If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.

Here are some numbers:

  • 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
  • Aleteia is published every day in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
  • Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
  • Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
  • Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
  • We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)

As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.

Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!

Daily prayer
And today we celebrate...




Top 10
1
Larry Peterson
This is the only officially recognized Marian apparition in the U...
2
Philip Kosloski
A scientist describes the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima
3
NIGHTBIRDE
Cerith Gardiner
Nightbirde finds inspiration in Joan of Arc
4
POPE JOHN JOHN XXIII
Philip Kosloski
Vatican II’s primary goal, according to St. John XXIII
5
Cerith Gardiner
Archbishop gives little girl a beautiful response about why God a...
6
GETAFE
Dolors Massot
Two sisters become nuns at the same time in Spain
7
FATIMA MIRACLE OF THE SUN
Philip Kosloski
Pope Pius XII witnessed the Fatima “miracle of the sun” while wal...
See More
Newsletter
Get Aleteia delivered to your inbox. Subscribe here.