Pope Francis has expanded the College of Cardinals by 21, including prelates from Nigeria, Ghana and six from Asia.
Need an idea for Lenten almsgiving?
Help us spread faith on the internet. Would you consider donating just $10, so we can continue creating free, uplifting content?
After praying the midday Regina Caeli on this day when many dioceses celebrate the Ascension of the Lord, Pope Francis announced the naming of 21 new cardinals, including the bishop of San Diego, Robert McElroy.
The consistory for the creation of the cardinals will be held Saturday, August 27.
The College of Cardinals currently consists of 208 Cardinals, of whom 117 are electors and 91 non-electors. As of 27 August, the number will grow to 229 Cardinals, of whom 133 will be electors.
Eight of the newly named Cardinals are from Europe, six from Asia, two from Africa, one from North America, and four from Central and Latin America.
Two are not bishops. Three are members of the Curia. Five are over the age of 80 (noted in bold) and thus will not be electors in a conclave.
- Archbishop Arthur Roche – Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
- Archbishop Lazzaro You Heung sik – Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy
- Archbishop Fernando Vérgez Alzaga, L.C. – President of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State and President of the Governorate for Vatican City State
- Archbishop Jean-Marc Aveline – Metropolitan Archbishop of Marseille (France)
- Bishop Peter Okpaleke – Bishop of Ekwulobia (Nigeria)
- Archbishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner, O.F.M. – Metropolitan Archbishop of Manaus (Brazil)
- Archbishop Filipe Neri António Sebastião di Rosário Ferrão – Archbishop of Goa and Damão (India)
- Bishop Robert Walter McElroy – Bishop of San Diego (U.S.A)
- Archbishop Virgilio Do Carmo Da Silva, S.D.B. – Archbishop of Dili (East Timor)
- Bishop Oscar Cantoni – Bishop of Como (Italy)
- Archbishop Anthony Poola – Archbishop of Hyderabad (India)
- Archbishop Paulo Cezar Costa – Metropolitan Archbishop of Brasília (Brazil)
- Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr, M. Africa – Bishop of Wa (Ghana)
- Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye – Archbishop of Singapore (Singapore)
- Archbishop Adalberto Martínez Flores – Metropolitan Archbishop of Asunción (Paraguay)
- Archbishop Giorgio Marengo, I.M.C. – Apostolic Prefect of Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)
- Archbishop Jorge Enrique Jiménez Carvajal – Archbishop Emeritus of Cartagena (Colombia)
- Archbishop Lucas Van Looy, S.D.B. – Archbishop Emeritus of Gent (Belgium)
- Archbishop Arrigo Miglio – Archbishop Emeritus of Cagliari (Italy)
- Fr. Gianfranco Ghirlanda, S.J. – Professor of Theology
- Msgr. Fortunato Frezza – Canon of Saint Peter’s Basilica