Every day, Aleteia offers a selection of articles written by the international press about the Church and the major issues that concern Catholics around the world. The opinions and views expressed in these articles are not those of the editors.
Thursday 9 June 2022
1. Is Pope Francis nearing the end of his pontificate?
2. Pope Francis’ reforms make John Paul II’s heresy-hunting Vatican barely recognizable
3. “The Hidden Sins of Italy,” a shocking documentary on abuses in the Church
4. German journalist defends the abolition of the church tax to save the Church
5. Family seeks sainthood for London Bridge terror attack ‘skateboard hero’
1Is Pope Francis nearing the end of his pontificate?
The Washington Post is asking the question of whether Francis’ pontificate is coming to an end. While the Italian press is buzzing with rumors on the subject, theauthor of the article recalls the unusual events that will take place this summer, with a consistory at the end of August and the Pope’s visit to L’Aquila where Francis will go to the Basilica where the tomb of Celestine V, one of the few popes to resign, is located. “He is aware that he is approaching the end of his pontificate,” said Massimo Faggioli, professor of theology at Villanova University, interviewed in this article. However, this reading is not unanimous, with some arguing that Pope Francis would not resign before the death of Benedict XVI to avoid there being two popes emeritus. “I think this sort of chatter is inevitable,” says the Pope’s biographer, Austen Ivereigh, who met the Argentine Pontiff recently and did not feel that the Pope was close to resigning.