A high school quarterback has fulfilled his childhood promise to a friend with Down syndrome. Back in the fourth grade, Ben Moser promised his friend Mary Lapkowicz, who has Down syndrome, that he would one day take her to prom. Seven years later, he kept his word, even though the two friends now attend different schools. Ben even surprised Mary with a “promposal.” “Mary’s the coolest person ever,” Ben said of his prom date. “She’s so easy to get along with, and she’s just so nice.” Ben’s mother posted on Facebook that this was the proudest she has ever been of her son. “He has grown into a man with a big heart, a deep sense of putting others first, and most of all making people feel special and loved,” she wrote. “Today with joyful tears in my eyes and down my face I watched a promise made, 7 years ago, to a beautiful girl fulfilled.”
A promise kept: high school QB takes friend with Down syndrome to the prom
Deacon Greg Kandra - published on 05/20/15
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!