Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde and has appointed as his successor Raleigh Bishop Michael F. Burbidge, 59. Bishop Loverde, who turned 76 in September, has led the Arlington Diocese since 1999. Canon law requires all bishops to submit their resignation at age 75.Bishop Loverde will serve as apostolic administrator until Bishop Burbidge’s installation, which will take place Dec. 6 at the Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington. Michael F. Burbidge was born June 16, 1957, in Philadelphia, Pa., the second son of Francis and Shirley Burbidge and brother of Francis Burbidge Jr. He graduated from Cardinal O’Hara High School, Springfield, Pa., in 1975. From high school he went to St. Charles Borromeo Seminary and was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia May 19, 1984, by Cardinal John Krol. Bishop Burbidge holds a bachelor’s in philosophy and a master’s in theology from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, a master’s in education administration from Villanova University, as well as a doctorate in education from Immaculata College.The changes were announced Oct. 4 in Washington by Msgr. Walter Erbi, the charge d’affaires at the apostolic nunciature to the United States.
Arlington gets a new bishop: Bishop Michael Burbidge of Raleigh
Deacon Greg Kandra - published on 10/04/16
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!