Orthodox Church officials joined Archpriest Nicholas Dahdal and officials from the Town of Cicero in commemorating the miracle of the Tearing Icon known as “The Miraculous Lady of Cicero, Illinois.” The Town of Cicero placed an Honorary Street Marker that reads “Our Lady of Cicero Court” on the corner of 60th Court and Roosevelt Road in Cicero, adjacent to the Church.
Joining in the ceremony in front of St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church, 1220 S. 60th Court, was Orthodox Priest and Father Sayidna Anthony who also presided over the Divine Liturgy, Sunday March 29, 2015.
Although mainstream Christians celebrated Palm Sunday on March 29 and will celebrate Easter on April 5, this year, Orthodox Christians celebrate Palm Sunday and Easter one week later on April 5 and April 12.
St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church in Chicago’s west suburb of Cicero held a special service on last year to honor the 20th anniversary of the discovery of a weeping icon of the Virgin Mary that has come to be known officially as “The Miraculous Lady of Cicero, Illinois.”
Read on to learn the story behind the icon.