A football loving New Jersey priest was arrested Friday for allegedly pointing a musket at an 8-year-old boy who committed the cardinal sin of cheering for the Dallas Cowboys. Father Kevin Carter, a devout Giants fan, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and aggravated assault by pointing a firearm after allegedly threatening to shoot the child for rooting for the Giants arch-rivals, authorities said. The 54-year-old pastor, assigned to St. Margaret of Cortona Roman Catholic Church in Little Ferry, N.J., was being held on $15,000 bail. Carter allegedly approached the boy as he and his family arrived for Mass services at the church on Sunday, Sept. 13, hours before the Giants and Cowboys faced off in their first game of the season, and asked to see him in one of the rectory rooms. Prosecutors said several witnesses watched in horror as the priest stood against the wall and allegedly pointed the Civil War-era musket at his head. “As he raised his weapon and pointed it at the boy, he said, ‘I’m going to shoot you,’” Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli said. “The young boy was apparently a fan of a particular football team, the priest was not. So perhaps we have indication it started out as that.”
New Jersey priest arrested, accused of pointing musket at 8-year-old boy
Deacon Greg Kandra - published on 10/03/15
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!