An incident that occurred this week in the North Fawkner parish has left many parishioners shocked. Fr Tomy Kalathoor Mathew was stabbed in the neck, just as he was about to commence the 11am Italian-language Mass at St Matthew’s parish. A 72-year old Fawkner man was arrested last night, and it is believed that he had previously voiced displeasure with the priest’s Indian heritage. Prior to stabbing Fr Mathew, the man accused him of being Hindu or Muslim, and therefore unqualified to say Mass. ‘This is appalling behaviour and people should never be treated like this,’ said Shane Healy, Media and Communications director at the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne. ‘This fellow is doing wonderful work for his parishioners and this is really a blight on the great work that many, many Catholic priests are doing.’
Shock: priest stabbed in neck before Mass
Deacon Greg Kandra - published on 03/20/17
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!