He managed to ask Spicer challenging questions, without making it seem like he was attacking him. There’s an artform to being a good interviewer – to making your guest feel comfortable while poking fun at him without demeaning him. Kimmel walked that line with skill and grace.
But there was one statement Kimmel made during the conversation that touched on his and Spicer’s shared Catholic faith. Kimmel was questioning him about President Trump’s painting the press with a broad brush as “fake news.”
Spicer responded that the majority of reporters are good people trying to tell a truthful story. But then he defended the president to a degree, stating that reporters often are more concerned with being first than being right and that they don’t admit their mistakes when they make them.
Kimmel answered, “Lumping everyone together, though, as fake news just seems terrible to me. In a way – you’re a Catholic and I’m a Catholic as well. I’m offended when people lump all priests together as child abusers. I find that to be unfair to those who aren’t.”
Spicer agreed, but also criticized the press corps for lumping all Republicans and conservatives into an unfair caricature as well.
Whether you like or dislike Spicer and his answers, this is an interesting interview to watch. And it was a surprise to hear Kimmel affirming the integrity of the many good priests whose reputations have been damaged by the horrific, criminal, and evil actions of others.
You can watch the whole thing below – or watch the above segment between 8:00 and 15:00.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!