Nearly 20 years after Ray Burrow wed his high school sweetheart, Christy, the father of three is getting ready to do the hardest thing he’s ever had to do — say goodbye.
The couple from Raeford, North Carolina, have been by each other’s sides since they were teenagers, but as Burrow continues his 3-year-long battle with throat cancer, he knows he’s nearing the end.
After multiple chemotherapy treatments along with radiation and numerous surgeries, Burrow decided to stop cancer treatments three weeks ago. He was recently admitted into a hospice center.
“Simply put, the cancer was too aggressive and his body had become too weak,” Burrow’s wife, Christy, told CBS News.
Now he’s trying to enjoy every minute he has left with his wife and three children, Zaidee,15, Ava,13, and Nathan, 9.
But he knows he’s going to miss out on future milestones like watching their graduation ceremonies, walking his daughters down the aisle, and handing them their first set of car keys on their 16th birthdays.
Photographer Amanda Ward, who has known the family for years, called Christy up last week and volunteered to take pictures of the family, free of charge, along with her partner, Jennifer Williams, of Southern Fried Photography.
Christy “had a vision for the shoot at that point,” Ward told CBS News.
“I really want to have my girls photographed in wedding dresses,” Christy told Ward. “I just really hate that cancer is going to take that away from my babies, take that happy memory away.”
So they gathered all the necessary clothing and met for a photo shoot last week.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!