Rep. Steve Scalise — as well as a congressional staffer and members of the congressional police force — was shot Wednesday morning in Alexandria, Virginia, in what sources are calling an apparent “deliberate attack.”
Scalise, a member of the House Republican leadership as the majority whip, appeared to have been shot in the hip and it appeared two Capitol Hill police agents were shot, according to Rep. Mo Brooks, who told CNN he was on deck when the shooting occurred.
As of 9:45 a.m. ET, Scalise was in stable condition but undergoing surgery, according to a statement from his office.
Scalise and his wife were married at New Orleans’ St. Louis Cathedral in 2005. He has spoken about his Catholic faith often, including releasing a statement on the canonization of Pope John Paul II and noting on his Facebook page:
As a Catholic and the great grandson of Italian immigrants, St. Joseph’s Day has always been a special time for my family, and it is certainly a big celebration here in New Orleans. My grandmother used to make St. Joseph’s Day altars. My wife and I got married on St. Joseph’s Day in 2005, and my aunt Sandra, who kept the tradition going, actually made us a St. Joseph’s Day altar at our wedding reception! Still to this day, I always carry around a fava bean (lucky bean) with me everywhere I go to remind me of my faith and Italian heritage, so proudly displayed every year at St. Joseph’s Day altars throughout the New Orleans region.
Pray for him and his family and for all the victims of this awful attack.
You can find more on the attack here.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!