At least three police officers and multiple civilians have been injured in an ongoing active shooter situation at or near a Colorado Springs branch of Planned Parenthood on Friday afternoon.
“We have confirmed that we have three officers that are injured. There are unknown number of civilians who have been injured,” Police Lt. Catherine Buckley said. “The situation is still unstable, and the shooter is not contained.”
At a news conference at about 1:30 on Friday afternoon, Buckley said police cannot confirm where the shooter is located and said the situation is “very active.” She said officers don’t yet know for sure whether there was a single shooter or multiple gunmen.
She said police are “bringing all resources to bear” to the situation.
The authorities reported that three people were killed, a police officer and two civilians, and nine were wounded before the suspect finally surrendered more than five hours after the first shots were fired.
The police did not immediately identify the suspect or describe his motives. For hours on Friday, officers traded gunfire with the gunman inside the building before they were able to shout to him and persuade him to give up, according to Lt. Catherine Buckley, a police spokeswoman…
…Officials from law enforcement and Planned Parenthood both said they did not know whether the group’s Colorado Springs center had been specifically targeted. But the attack carried echoes of other violent assaults on abortion providers, and it prompted the police in New York City to deploy units to Planned Parenthood clinics in the city.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!