The words are beautiful, powerful and timely:
Christ gave the Petrine office to the Church in order to give an orientation and support to the many people in the different times. That is my last request to you all for your salvation. Stay with our Holy Father. He is the Peter of today. Follow his guidance. Listen to his word. Peter wants nothing for himself, but everything for the Lord and for his brothers and sisters. You all know the course of my life followed three societal systems – the 12 years of Hitler, 24 year reign of communism and now over 20 years of democratic freedom. In all three epochs, the service of the pope has given me orientation, encouragement and assistance. Remain always with the Pope and you will never lose Christ. I do not desire the grace which the Apostle John received, nor the forgiveness with which you pardoned Peter. I only desire the words which you said to the robber on the Cross: “Today you will be with me in Paradise.”
Cologne, 25 March 2011
Joachim Cardinal Meisner, Archbishop of Cologne
As a couple of commenters have put it: wow.
Read the whole thing.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!