From the Scottish Catholic Observer:
The latest figures from the Scottish Household Survey show the number of Catholics in Scotland remaining stable over the last decade, but a drop in the membership of the Church of Scotland and a rise in the number of people claiming no religion.
14 per cent of Scots say they are Catholic in the survey, a statistically insignificant decrease from 15 per cent in 2009.
Comparatively, the percentage of people affiliated to the Church of Scotland has declined from 34 to 24 per cent in the past eight years.
There has also been a corresponding rise in the number of people saying they have no religion, which no stands at 51 per cent.
If these trends continue—with the number of Catholics remaining steady and the Church of Scotland numbers declining at the same rate—there will be more Catholics in Scotland than any other religion by 2024.
The research also suggests that the number of people identifying as other Christian and other religion have both remained steady since 2009 at eight per cent and three per cent respectively.
The survey echoes other recent findings which show Scotland becoming increasingly non-religious.
Photo: St. Andrews Cathedral, Glasgow/Wikipedia
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!