Prayer of the Ordained
You who ordered the universe
Have also ordained the universe.
You have ordained that the stars follow their course,
That the seasons follow Your plan
That the oceans and tides obey Your rhythms.
And now you have ordained us in Your service, as Deacons.
Make of us instruments of Your holy will —
Rinse away the useless clay, and leave behind new creations,
polished at Your wheel, shaped by Your fingers,
dried in the warmth of your gaze.
In the boundless mercy and love with which you have formed us,
Guide us with Your Spirit,
so that we might complete the work You have begun.
Let us always remember that we have been ordained to serve,
And not to be served,
To build up, not to tear down,
To preach, to teach, and to believe.
Help us to proclaim the gospel with the fervor of Your greatest deacons:
As fearlessly as Stephen,
As compassionately as Lawrence
And as joyfully as Francis of Assisi.
Make our lives models of Christ the servant,
That we may love others as He did,
And always see Him in those we meet,
Even in the distressing disguise of the poor, the sick, the lonely or the lost.
Let our words be Your Word,
Our actions, Your actions.
Make our hands Your hands,
Outstretched, to carry and comfort, to baptize and bless.
Grant us the grace to be worthy of the work we are beginning,
So that we may one day worship You in Your sanctuary,
Serving in eternal joy at Your table.
We ask this through the First Servant and First Deacon,
our brother, Christ Our Lord.
—Deacon Greg Kandra, 2007
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!