A Texas high school teacher who teaches French could have to bid adieu to his job — because he doesn’t know how to speak the language. Albert Moyer has been teaching French classes at the Houston Independent School District’s Energy Institute High School for about five months, but the only word he knows how to speak is “bonjour,” students told local TV station KHOU. “I thought it was a joke, I couldn’t believe this was happening,” said Sharonda White, whose son Nathanial is in one of Moyer’s classes. Nathanial said his teacher, who only took one year of French in high school, can’t even answer any of the students’ questions. “We’ve got to search it up on our own,” he said, adding that most of his class is teaching themselves by looking up translations on Google. Parents were only notified about the inexperienced teacher after local TV station KHOU released its investigation — prompting the school principal to send out an email blast admitting the faux pas.
What the Faux? French Teacher Couldn’t Speak French?
Deacon Greg Kandra - published on 05/03/16
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!