So, it’s not surprising that Barron, the founder of Word on Fire Ministries, should speak before 8,000 Catholic students at a Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS) conference in Chicago, and set their hearts ablaze.
Watch and be amazed: Barron shows up with 45 minutes prepared, discovers he’s only been scheduled for 18, and manages to launch into an exposition of the Acts of the Apostles and “the task of the Church” as it is today that is both inspiring and uplifting. He’s preaching from the heart about “bringing something of heaven to earth” and about the necessity of incarnational missionary outreach, and he’s doing it while bringing in historical perspective, and warning against justifications toward pastoral reductionism or anti-intellectualism.
“The church engages from the beginning in bold, fiery, coherent, confident and intelligent speech. This is not the time for anti-intellectualism in our church. We have [lots of young people] who leaving the church for ‘intellectual’ reasons — you know, it’s ‘opposed to science’, or ‘it doesn’t make sense’ … No, no, we need people (I nominate all of you) to have tongues of fire settle over their heads, so they can engage in this bold speech, and what’s at the heart of this speech?”
Well, watch and find out. It’s brief, but it’s breathtaking. Give it a second to load, and enjoy!
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!