Praying with kids doesn’t have to be stressful if you center it around these basic ideas.
Praying with children is not always easy, especially when you have several and they are all young. So that nightly prayer doesn’t turn into a source of exasperation for the whole family, consider building it around these four simple notions:
Prayer can begin with praises. We can thank God for being our Father and for all His gifts.
God accords us his pardon. We can ask his pardon for something specific that turned us away from Him. This request can be made in silence, each evoking his sin in his or her heart.
All we have comes from God. Let us stand before him with an outstretched hand. This prayer of supplication can concern anything: from the most materialistic to the most spiritual. What matters is not what we ask for, but how we ask for it: not as something that is due to us, but as a favor. We can conclude this prayer with the following words: “yet not my will, but yours be done.”
4I love you
The prayer begins and concludes with praises. Telling God “I love you” is showing him our need to live in his Love and of his Love.
And let us not forget, the best way to have children approach prayer is literally through singing their praises, their prayers of supplication and intercession.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!