To live as one with your spouse, each partner has to face his problems.
A strong couple is built like a cathedral. As in the building of a cathedral, this requires courage, perseverance, a lot of will power and humility. Both partners need to face their personal demons (selfishness, fear of loss of control, vanity, etc.) — the “passions of the soul,” as St, Francis de Sales calls them. It’s an ambitious project on par with the internal desire to be fulfilled.
A couple in a long-term relationship has to make choices that present both a personal and a marital challenge. A couple does not consist of a sum of two individuals — it is a living entity unto itself, born of a desire to walk the same path together, to fulfill a specific mission usque ad mortem (“till death do us apart”) which we humbly pronounced in the course of a religious marriage ceremony.
The first area where each of us must face the truth is no doubt in the relationship with our partner. This most beloved of our loved ones who constantly makes us take a closer look at ourselves. Couples who wish to revive the inner flame that used to animate them have to go back and revisit all the areas that gave meaning to their life together and reexamine their “everyday” experience. Their fear can then become powerful energy and the truth will set them free.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!