Some sources indicate there is evidence of teaching here as early as 1096, making it the oldest university in the English-speaking world. Also, it would be the world's second-oldest university in continuous operation, after the University of Bologna. It grew quickly from 1167 when English students returned from the University of Paris. By the mid-13th century, members of many religious orders, including Dominicans, Franciscans, Carmelites and Augustinians, were already settled in Oxford. It was recognized in 1254 by Pope Innocent IV.