The cave Church of St. Anthony the Great, Qozhaya.
Its facade is beautiful in its simplicity. Its pink stones are joined with lead instead of mortar.
In the upper part, a series of arches is supported by twelve pink pillars, which rest upon copper sills.
On the top, there are three bell towers. It is to be noted that the central one, out of which three arches have been sculpted, is monolithic (constructed from a single piece of rock).
A well is located at the center of the courtyard.
Mass is celebrated regularly at the church as it has been for several hundred years.
Modern lighting has been added.
Grotto of St. Anthony.
The Cave of Qozhaya, which burrows into the mountainside, is supposed to extend to the town of Ehden. It is a popular place for miracles, especially for those who are mentally ill.
It is famous throughout Lebanon and the Middle East for the miraculous cures that have taken place in it.
A view from the rear of the church.
A view from the entrance of the monastery.
The printing press was the first one in the Middle East.
Some historians dated its installation at the monastery to 1584.
The first printed text that the monastery possesses is The Book of Psalms, which can actually be found at the Library of the University of the Holy Spirit at Kaslik, Lebanon.
It dates back to 1610. The printing press has Syriac characters.
Accessories used for the printerThe Printing Press
The press is the first one in the Middle East. Some historians dated its installation at the Monastery to 1584. The first printed text that we possess is The Book of Psalms, which can actually be found at the Library of the University of the Holy Spirit at Kaslik - Lebanon. It dates back to 1610. The printing press has Syriac characters. Several liturgical and religious books have been printed in the Monastery: the Mass Book, the Book of the Epistles, the Breviary and the Martyrology have been printed in both Syriac and Karshouni.
A collection of tools used to create the printing plates.
The workmanship needed to create a single page for the press was monumental.
But each painstakingly crafted plate could yield countless pages.
Several liturgical and religious books have been printed in the monastery.
The Mass Book, the Book of the Epistles, the Breviary and the Martyrology have been printed in both Syriac and Karshouni.
The press is made mainly of wood, but has several steel parts to press the plate to the page.
The lever that would be pulled downward to force the inked plate against the page.
A close-up of a plate.
The monastery has a museum of some of the many elements used through its history.
Some objects are over 700 years old.
From every generation.
The museum also holds a collection of medieval vestments.
The Museum
Religious and cultual objects and vestments, some of which are gifts from kings and heads of state, are preserved in the Monastery's museum. There are also clay utensils and ancient agricultural tools.
The path to the monastery.
Church of St. John the Baptist at St. Anthony the Great, Qozhaya
Statue of Venerable and Blessed Brother Estephan Nehme at the Church of St. Anthony the Great, Qozhaya.
Many Lebanese Catholics visit the Grotto to pray and seek healing.
The Grotto.
A man holds a prayer stone to the back of his head. It is thought that healing can come through praying in this manner.
A small altar with a collection of devotionals.
A Lebanese Christian woman prays in the Grotto of St. Anthony.
The Church of Saint Anthony the Great Qozhaya
The Church of the Monastery is located in a cave. It is the product of the joint endeavor of man and nature. Its facade is beautiful in its simplicity. Its pink stones are joined with lead instead of mortar. In the upper part, a series of arches is supported by twelve pink pillars, which rest upon copper sills. On the top, there are three bell towers. It is to be noted that the central one, out of which three arches have been sculpted, is monolithic (constructed from a single piece of rock).
The Church of Saint Anthony the Great Qozhaya
The Church of the Monastery is located in a cave. It is the product of the joint endeavor of man and nature. Its facade is beautiful in its simplicity. Its pink stones are joined with lead instead of mortar. In the upper part, a series of arches is supported by twelve pink pillars, which rest upon copper sills. On the top, there are three bell towers. It is to be noted that the central one, out of which three arches have been sculpted, is monolithic (constructed from a single piece of rock).