1/46
2/46
3/46
4/46
5/46
6/46
7/46
8/46
9/46
10/46
VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
This automobile was donated to John Paul II in May 2004, as a sign of gratitude for his journey to Mexico (2002), during which he beatified Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, the peasant to whom the Virgin of Guadalupe appeared in 1531. This car was the last of a limited edition produced at the Puebla factory, after which the production line of these vehicles, which originated in 1930, was discontinued. The car does not have a license plate as John Paul II never used it.
11/46
VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
This automobile was donated to John Paul II in May 2004, as a sign of gratitude for his journey to Mexico (2002), during which he beatified Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, the peasant to whom the Virgin of Guadalupe appeared in 1531. This car was the last of a limited edition produced at the Puebla factory, after which the production line of these vehicles, which originated in 1930, was discontinued. The car does not have a license plate as John Paul II never used it.
12/46
The white Renault 4, registered in 1984, was donated to Pope Francis on September 7, 2013 by Don Renzo Zocca, who was for many years the parish priest in Saval, the workers’ quarter of Verona. Despite its 30 horse power and 4 speed gearbox next the steering wheel, this utilitarian vehicle, a symbol of simplicity as lived in peripheral areas, had already travelled 185 thousand miles at the time it was donated, as Don Zocca had travelled the length and breadth of his parish to bring help, aid and comfort to those in need. Don Zocca was impressed by the words and gestures of Pope Francis following his election and wanted to donate his car to the pope who had made the peripheries one of the themes of his pontificate. On the day the Renault 4 was presented to the Pope, he and Don Zocco took it for a test drive. Pope Francis told Don Zocco that he used to have a similar car, and it never let him down.
13/46
The white Renault 4, registered in 1984, was donated to Pope Francis on September 7, 2013 by Don Renzo Zocca, who was for many years the parish priest in Saval, the workers’ quarter of Verona. Despite its 30 horse power and 4 speed gearbox next the steering wheel, this utilitarian vehicle, a symbol of simplicity as lived in peripheral areas, had already travelled 185 thousand miles at the time it was donated, as Don Zocca had travelled the length and breadth of his parish to bring help, aid and comfort to those in need. Don Zocca was impressed by the words and gestures of Pope Francis following his election and wanted to donate his car to the pope who had made the peripheries one of the themes of his pontificate. On the day the Renault 4 was presented to the Pope, he and Don Zocco took it for a test drive. Pope Francis told Don Zocco that he used to have a similar car, and it never let him down.
14/46
MERCEDES-BENZ 300 SEL LIMOUSINE
In autumn 1965 Pope Paul VI received as a gift in Castel Gandolfo a Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman Landaulet; in those years it was the favorite among the protocols of the major international registries, and long remained the sole papal automobile.
15/46
16/46
17/46
18/46
MERCEDES-BENZ 300 SEL LIMOUSINE
In autumn 1965 Pope Paul VI received as a gift in Castel Gandolfo a Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman Landaulet; in those years it was the favorite among the protocols of the major international registries, and long remained the sole papal automobile.
19/46
MERCEDES-BENZ 300 SEL LIMOUSINE
In autumn 1965 Pope Paul VI received as a gift in Castel Gandolfo a Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman Landaulet; in those years it was the favorite among the protocols of the major international registries, and long remained the sole papal automobile.
20/46
MERCEDES-BENZ 300 SEL LIMOUSINE
In autumn 1965 Pope Paul VI received as a gift in Castel Gandolfo a Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman Landaulet; in those years it was the favorite among the protocols of the major international registries, and long remained the sole papal automobile.
21/46
GRAHAM PAIGE — Type 837
The Graham Paige 837 arrived at the Vatican on November 10, 1929, as a gift from the Graham brothers to Pius XI to mark the occasion of the Conciliation between the Church and the Italian State. Like the carriages, for reasons of protocol the rear passenger compartment is equipped with a seat that recalls the papal throne. This automobile, used by both Pius XI and Pius XII, is historically important. Pius XI used it to travel to the Basilica of St. John Lateran to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of his priestly ordination (December 22, 1929); it was the first time that a pope had left the Vatican after the fall of Rome on 20 September 1870. Years later (on July 19, 1943), was also witness to the tragic bombardment of San Lorenzo. As Bishop of Rome, Pius XII rushed to visit the afflicted Roman quarter to comfort his people in a Mercedes 230, but it broke down on the way. For the return journey, the pope used the Graham Paige 837, in front of which he was immortalized in a famous photograph, which shows him blessing the crowd.
22/46
GRAHAM PAIGE — Type 837
The Graham Paige 837 arrived at the Vatican on November 10, 1929, as a gift from the Graham brothers to Pius XI to mark the occasion of the Conciliation between the Church and the Italian State. Like the carriages, for reasons of protocol the rear passenger compartment is equipped with a seat that recalls the papal throne. This automobile, used by both Pius XI and Pius XII, is historically important. Pius XI used it to travel to the Basilica of St. John Lateran to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of his priestly ordination (December 22, 1929); it was the first time that a pope had left the Vatican after the fall of Rome on 20 September 1870. Years later (on July 19, 1943), was also witness to the tragic bombardment of San Lorenzo. As Bishop of Rome, Pius XII rushed to visit the afflicted Roman quarter to comfort his people in a Mercedes 230, but it broke down on the way. For the return journey, the pope used the Graham Paige 837, in front of which he was immortalized in a famous photograph, which shows him blessing the crowd.
23/46
MERCEDES 460 NÜRBURG LIMOUSINE
Donated to Pius XI on November 14, 1930 by Mercedes Benz, the Nürburg comes with a rear passenger compartment equipped with a single seat in crimson brocade, recalling the papal throne. The 460 Nürburg long wheelbase limousine, designed by Ferdinand Porsche, was presented at the Paris Salon of 1928, where it met with great success for its retro style, which was also received with enthusiasm by Pius XI. Ferdinand Porsche, who later founded the car company bearing his name, designed its elegant lines. It would appear that, during a test drive in the Vatican Gardens, referring to the power of the engine, he exclaimed: “Beautiful car! A masterpiece… a wonder of modern technology”. Indeed, the 460 Nürburg has an output of 80hp and can reach a maximum speed of 110 km/h.
24/46
25/46
MERCEDES 460 NÜRBURG LIMOUSINE
Donated to Pius XI on November 14, 1930 by Mercedes Benz, the Nürburg comes with a rear passenger compartment equipped with a single seat in crimson brocade, recalling the papal throne. The 460 Nürburg long wheelbase limousine, designed by Ferdinand Porsche, was presented at the Paris Salon of 1928, where it met with great success for its retro style, which was also received with enthusiasm by Pius XI. Ferdinand Porsche, who later founded the car company bearing his name, designed its elegant lines. It would appear that, during a test drive in the Vatican Gardens, referring to the power of the engine, he exclaimed: “Beautiful car! A masterpiece… a wonder of modern technology”. Indeed, the 460 Nürburg has an output of 80hp and can reach a maximum speed of 110 km/h.
26/46
27/46
28/46
29/46
CITROËN LICTORIA C6

The Citroën Lictoria C6 was donated to Pius XI on 9 June 1930 by Citroën Italy. The exterior of the vehicle has all the typical characteristics of the series, but the deep burgundy color of the bodywork and the gilded chrome of all the metallic finishings lend it a solemn appearance. Here again, for reasons of protocol the rear passenger compartment is equipped like a throne room. Unlike the other automobiles, the interior is arranged like a sophisticated 1700s Venetian-style drawing room, dominated by the papal throne in crimson brocade and the elegant panels of inlaid wood, concealing small compartments intended to store objects that could be useful during the journey, such as the breviary. It did not receive much use due to its excessively lavish appearance, and therefore has travelled only 192 kilometers. Pius XII avoided using it during the years spanning World War II.
30/46
CITROËN LICTORIA C6

The Citroën Lictoria C6 was donated to Pius XI on 9 June 1930 by Citroën Italy. The exterior of the vehicle has all the typical characteristics of the series, but the deep burgundy color of the bodywork and the gilded chrome of all the metallic finishings lend it a solemn appearance. Here again, for reasons of protocol the rear passenger compartment is equipped like a throne room. Unlike the other automobiles, the interior is arranged like a sophisticated 1700s Venetian-style drawing room, dominated by the papal throne in crimson brocade and the elegant panels of inlaid wood, concealing small compartments intended to store objects that could be useful during the journey, such as the breviary. It did not receive much use due to its excessively lavish appearance, and therefore has travelled only 192 kilometers. Pius XII avoided using it during the years spanning World War II.
31/46
32/46
33/46
34/46
35/46
36/46
37/46
38/46
39/46
40/46
41/46
42/46
CITROËN LICTORIA C6

The Citroën Lictoria C6 was donated to Pius XI on 9 June 1930 by Citroën Italy. The exterior of the vehicle has all the typical characteristics of the series, but the deep burgundy color of the bodywork and the gilded chrome of all the metallic finishings lend it a solemn appearance. Here again, for reasons of protocol the rear passenger compartment is equipped like a throne room. Unlike the other automobiles, the interior is arranged like a sophisticated 1700s Venetian-style drawing room, dominated by the papal throne in crimson brocade and the elegant panels of inlaid wood, concealing small compartments intended to store objects that could be useful during the journey, such as the breviary. It did not receive much use due to its excessively lavish appearance, and therefore has travelled only 192 kilometers. Pius XII avoided using it during the years spanning World War II.
43/46
44/46
CITROËN LICTORIA C6

The Citroën Lictoria C6 was donated to Pius XI on 9 June 1930 by Citroën Italy. The exterior of the vehicle has all the typical characteristics of the series, but the deep burgundy color of the bodywork and the gilded chrome of all the metallic finishings lend it a solemn appearance. Here again, for reasons of protocol the rear passenger compartment is equipped like a throne room. Unlike the other automobiles, the interior is arranged like a sophisticated 1700s Venetian-style drawing room, dominated by the papal throne in crimson brocade and the elegant panels of inlaid wood, concealing small compartments intended to store objects that could be useful during the journey, such as the breviary. It did not receive much use due to its excessively lavish appearance, and therefore has travelled only 192 kilometers. Pius XII avoided using it during the years spanning World War II.
45/46
46/46