8 / 11
San Giorgio Maggiore was built to serve a monastic Benedictine community that still thrives on the small island. The church was designed by the great Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. Its construction was completed in 1610. The bell tower depicted in Canaletto’s painting fell in the year 1744 and was subsequently replaced by a tower in a different style.
+

© Public domain