8 / 9
Located near the market town of Shrewsbury, Haughmond Abbey was a place where the resident priest-monks served the needy by providing them with food and shelter. Sculptures of numerous saints have been partly preserved in the ruins, including images of St. Michael the Archangel, St. Peter, St. Thomas Beckett, and St. Winifred, among others. The monastery also had an impressive library, a few volumes of which have survived. Haughmond Abbey was dissolved in 1539 through an order signed by Thomas Cromwell and replaced by a Tudor mansion.
+

© Graham King | Shutterstock