It's not known for certain on what part of St. Clement's Island the first colonists landed, but the south-facing side (pictured here) is most likely. The water depth was favorable for the larger ship and the beachhead is about 100 yards from the location where they celebrated Mass and erected the first cross.
In the late 1800s a fog bell was added.
The structure that sits on St. Clement's Island is a replica of the original, which was destroyed by a stray shell during a military exercise around 1955.
"The pinnace, realizing early on that she was no match for the waves, avoided St. George’s Channel, against which we were already struggling, and returned to England and the Scilly Isles; making a fresh start from there, she followed us in the company of the Dragon to the Great Gulf and caught up with us, as we shall tell, at the Antilles, with God, who cares even for the least, looking out for her as leader and guardian." - From the journal of Fr. Andrew White
A replica of The Dove is harbored at the City of St. Mary's. To walk on her decks and imagine life on the high seas gives a perspective on the bravery of those who embarked on the voyage.
A 30-foot high cross sits at the location where the first Mass was celebrated in 1634. This is also the location where the colonists placed their cross, claiming the lands for Jesus Christ.
St. Clement's Island as seen from the north. The island is about 1/2 mile from the mainland and is roughly 455 acres in size.
"Danger was not long away. Around the middle of the night in fact, as the winds were swelling up and the sea became rough, we saw the pinnace at a distance displaying two lights on her masthead. At the time we were certain that she was lost and that she had been swallowed up in the deep whirlpools, for she had passed out of sight in an instant, and no news of her reached us until six weeks later. Therefore everyone was convinced that the pinnace had sunk; however, God had better things in store." - From the journal of Fr. Andrew White S.J.
In the mid-1800s the Blackistone lighthouse was erected on the island to aid ships in navigating the channel. The original lighthouse had 11 oil lamps and a cylindrical Fresnel lens that produced a fixed beam.
St. Francis Xavier Church, located in sight of St. Clement's island, remains the oldest Catholic Church in the 13 colonies. The parish was established in 1640; the current church building was built in 1731.
A typical sight in St. Mary's County; a statue of the Blessed Mother.
The Manor of Little Bretton. Located adjacent to St. Francis Xavier Church, the manor became the operating point for the Jesuits who ministered to the colonists and Native Americans in the region.