Shrine of St. Joseph in St. Louis
Beautifully restored in recent decades, the Shrine of St. Joseph
in St. Louis is the site of two miracles, one of which led to the canonization of St. Peter Claver. Another has special meaning today, when the world is fighting a pandemic.
During an outbreak of cholera in 1866, the pastor of St. Joseph’s led parishioners in making a solemn vow to St. Joseph, that if, through his intercession, God would protect the parishioners from the deadly disease, they would erect a monument to their patron. From that day on, not a single member of any family who had signed the vow and pledge died of the disease. The parish decided to build a special altar featuring St. Joseph and the Christ Child. Today, it is the main altar and is known as the Altar of Answered Prayers.
While owned by the Archdiocese of St. Louis, the shrine is leased to the Friends of the Shrine of St. Joseph and is a regular working church. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.