This remote small town in Alaska was initially called Anilukhtakpak
when it was founded in the 1840s. However, Fr. Aloysius Robaut from the Holy Cross mission arrived in the 1880s to the town, which had been renamed Askhomute. By 1912 the town finally got its final name of Holy Cross after the mission, and of course, Christ's cross.
© John E. Thwaites | Public Domain